Monuments


One of the most cosmopolitan islands of Greece, Corfu is located on the northern side of the Ionian Sea. It charms visitors with the Venetian style, the lovely beaches and the relaxing feeling. Corfu Town charms visitors at first sight with the Venetian style that reminds very much of Italian towns, like Venice and Florence. Many beautiful beaches are found around the island, such as Paleokastritsa, Agios Gordis, Nissaki and others. Corfu holidays can be a great experience for families, couples or group of friends, as it has something special for everyone.

Check out the monuments on our map!

Achillion palace

Αχίλλειο - distance from hotel: 44 km/1 hour
Achillion was built from 1888 to 1891 by the Italian architect Kardilo on behalf of Elisabeth, Empress of Austria. It is situated near the village of Gastouri, where, in former times the mansion of the philosopher Petros Armenis Vrailas stood. The construction was built in the architectural style of Pompeii, although it includes elements of the Ionic, Roman and Aeolic traditions. The castle was called 'Achillion' in honour of Achilles, whom the Empress admired. After her death in 1898, Achillion was not inhabited for nine years, until its purchase by the Emperor of Germany Vilhelm II, in 1907. The Kaiser made several alterations inside and outside the palace. He removed the two statues of Achilles, built a building, which he named the House of the Knights, in order to house his battalion, and he rearranged the gardens. During the World Wars, the palace was used as a hospital and headquarters. After World War II, Achillion became a public estate. Inside the palace, one can admire beautiful paintings by Italian and Austrian painters, the most impressive being the paintings of Aggelos Gialinas, a painter from Corfu. The most remarkable mural is the fresco of the reception chamber showing Achilles dragging the dead body of Hector in front of the Trojan walls. In the chambers, one can admire the personal belongings of Elisabeth and Vilhelm B', furniture, jewels etc. There are also exhibits of statues representing heroes from ancient Greek history and mythology, as well as portraits and pots. The decoration of the Catholic chapel housed in the palace is also of striking beauty. Scattered between the beautifully decorated gardens and the fountains stand the beautiful statues of the Nine Muses and ancient Greek philosophers, as well as, a large statue of Achilles, created in 1909 by the German sculptor Goetz, ordered by Vilhelm B'. The most impressive of all is the statue of 'Achilles dying' created by the German sculptor Earnest Gustav Herter. Another building in Achillion was used to house the carriage drivers, the carriages and the horses.
GPS:39.562071,19.90421

Angelocastro

Αγγελόκαστρο -distance from hotel: 26 km/45 minutes
The byzantine fortress known as Aggelokastro (Castle of Angels) is situated near the Krini, opposite Palaiokastritsa, at an altitude of 330 m. It was built in the 13th century by Michael Angelo B' the son of Epirus's archbishop Michael Angelo Á'. Tradition says that the founder was looking for the most dangerous and the steepest rock to build upon it an impregnable fortress. Thus, he came across the area of Aggelokastro where there stood a fortress, courtesy of the archbishop of Epirus. The forts' purpose was to protect the inhabitants from the pirates of Africa and the Venetians. For a while it served as the island's capital as the governor lived there. In 1403, from the castle, they fought successfully against the pirates of Genoa. The castle's entrance is an arched gate, but inside there are only ruins of the chambers and the storage rooms. In a dark cave, there is a church dedicated to the archangels Michael and Gabriel where one can admire a remarkable fresco of the Virgin Mary.
GPS:39.679533,19.686161

Kanoni - Mouse Island

Kanoni -distance from hotel: 42 km/1 hour
World famous Kanoni is situated south of the Palaiopoli peninsula. It was named Kanoni (cannon) after the battery of artillery established by French in 1798. One of the battery's cannons still stands at the tourist kiosk. In front of Kanoni is the Monastery of Vlaherna, linked to the mainland by a cement dock and built in the 17th century. From there one can visit Pontikonissi. According to the legend, this was the ship of Phaiakes which, after taking Ulysses to Ithaki, was petrified. Another legend claims that this is the rock where Ulysses crashed because of the storm. On the island of Pontikonissi stands the byzantine chapel of Pandokrator. The spectacular view from Kanoni inspired the German painter Becklin to draw 'The Island of the Dead'. This location is the most charming part of the island and it has always been the place where all the island's inhabitants love to promenade.
GPS:39.591783,19.916608

Mon Repos palace

Mon Repos -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
Mon Repo stands where the ancient city used to be, 3 km south of the capital. It was built on a very large estate in 1831. It was initially a summer residence for the English high commissioner F. Adam. Later it became the summer residence for the Greek royal family. In the area surrounding Mon Repo, there were two discoveries: in 1822 the temple of Aesculapins (6th century BC), and in 1912-1914 the altar of the Goddess Diana (7th century BC). At Mon Repo one can see a beautiful view from the hill of Analipsi, the ruins of the ancient city and the basilica of Palaiopoli. The beach at Mon Repo is lovely, attracting many tourists in the summer
GPS:39.606517,19.925918

Agios Spyridon church

Agios Spyridon -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
The church of Agios Spyridonas is dedicated to the patron saint of the island of Corfu. It was built in 1589, in order to replace the older church of Sorokos which was demolished because of the construction of the walls of the town. Saint Spyridonas took part in the Ecumenical Synod A', which took place in Nice (325 AD). On the exterior of the church there is a tall, castellated bell-tower with a clock which resembles the one of the church of Agios Georgios in Venice. Inside the church there is a temple which the architect M. Mawers made of Kararas and Paros in marble. The painter Spyros Prosalentis made the icons on the temple of the church. The most valuable treasure of the church is the golden shrine made in Venice in which Saint Spyridonas's remains are kept. At first these remains were kept in Constantinople, but after its fall, they were transferred to the island of Corfu. The wonderful icons on the dome have golden frames, they are divided into 17 pieces, and they represent, among other things, the life of Saint Spyridonas. The icons were first made by the hagiographer Panagiotis Doxaras in 1727, but because of their decay from moisture, they were replaced by Nikolaos Aspiotis's copies in 1850-1870. On December 12th, there is a feast in honour of the saint. The litanies of Agios Spyridonas are also famous, as they have been performed here since the Venetian years, and they are connected with the history of the island.
GPS:39.625164,19.922812

The museum of Asian Art

The museum of Asian Art -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
The Museum of Asian Art is housed in the Palace of St Michael and George, in the town of Kerkira. The Museum is unique throughout Greece and the exhibits were originally from China, Japan, Korea, Tibet, Nepal, India, Pakistan and Siam. Most of the current exhibits were collected by the diplomats Manou, Siniossoglou, Almonahou and the ambassador N. Hatzivassiliou. Among the exhibits there are chinese works of all chines eras: The Sheang era (1,500-1,027 BC) the Chehou era (1,027-221 BC), the Han era (221 BC-220 AD), the Soung dynasty (960-1,279 AD), the Ming dynasty (1,368-1,644 AD) and from Kamakoura era (1,192-1,338 AD). The most significant exhibits are the infamous copper cauldron used for worshipping reasons, from the Ming dynasty, tombs statues from the Tang dynasty, a wooden japanese statues from japanese statue of a temple's guard and facades from the japanese theater Noh.
GPS:39.625978,19.924451

The New Fortress

The New Fortress -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
This fortress stands on the hill of Agios Markos, where the old harbor used to be. It was built by the Venetians (1576-1589). Later, the French and the English made alterations and improvements. The fortress consisted of two ramparts and two castles. On the left, there was the rampart of Sarandaris and the rampart of Agios Athanassios, both linked to the castle by a triple wall. The two fortress, the Old and the New, were linked by an underground arcade and a rampart wall which surrounded the area of the contemporary city. The New Fortress had access to its ramparts through corridors, tunnels and underground arcades. Today there are only two gates left standing with the emblem of St Markos's lion. The new fortress's fortification played a significant defensive role, even in recent wars, as its arcades were used as refuge for the people. The fortress is famous for its architecture.
GPS:39.625491,19.918234

Old Fortress

Old Fortress -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
The Old Fortress is situated on an islet and is joined with the town by a cement bridge which used to be wooden and movable. Before the bridge, one can admire the marble statue of German Field Marshal Schulenburg, who bravely defended the island during the Turkish siege in 1716. It was constructed by the Italian sculptor A. Corradini, during the Venetian Rule, and it was originally housed in the fortress. Between the Old Fortress and the town, lies the canal of Contra Fossa (150 m. long, 10-15 m. wide), with the Stands of Saborniano and Martinego. The construction of the building began with the Venetians, after the Turkish siege in 1537, and was completed in 1588. It had four gates and two peaks (Korifes), thus the island was named Corfu. The first peak (51 m. high) was built by the Byzantines and was called 'Castell del Mar, alias 'Castell Vecchio', while the second peak (65 m. high) was built by the Venetians and was called 'Castell di Terra', alias 'Castell Nuovo'. The Venetians extended the city beyond the fortress, while in the interior they built arches, prisons, storage rooms and new buildings for the soldiers, the nobles and the politicians. The new town called for a new fortification and a new fortress. The underground arches of the fortress prove the theory that it was linked underground to the opposite islet of Ptihia (alias Vido). Today, one can still see the ruins of the Venetian walls, the additional fortifications built by the English, the clock-tower, the Doric buildings and the church of Agios Georgios, built in 1840, during the English occupation.
GPS:39.623437,19.925524

Kaiser's throne

Kaiser's throne -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
Between 1908 and the first world war, Kaiser Wilhelm II spent his summers at Achillion Palace but his favorite location was the village of Pelekas where he want to build the Achillion palace in the first place. It’s not difficult to understand why. Standing at his “throne” you have a 360 degree panoramic view of the island and one of the most impressive sunsets. Much has changed since Kaisers throne was built, but the beauty and magical sunsets have not.
GPS:39.593691,19.821693

Venitian Shipyard

Venitian Shipyard -distance from hotel: 30 km/40 minutes
The large bay of Gouvia forms a natural harbour which houses todays marina but in the in the 17th century Venetian seamen selected the area of Gouvia as an ideal location for creating a naval base. They fortified the entrance of the harbour with a small fort commonly known as Scarpa, parts of which still remain until today, but in private property. Corfu, being in a strategically position between Greece and Italy was and still is the first port when making this crossing, so the shipyard which still stand to date was built in 1716 to support the galleys which were passing from Corfu. It is remarkable how good the Venetians were in such constructions since the main structure of the building is essentially intact, only the roof has been destroyed.
GPS:39.652524,19.847214

Korission lake

Korission lake -distance from hotel: 60 km/90 minutes
Korission Lagoon is situated on the south west coast of Corfu. The lake is the largest of three on Corfu and covers and area of 6000 acres. From its sand covered dunes on one side to the soft sands of the sea on the other, this area is both beautiful and wild. The wind swept dunes covered in Juniper bushes meets the beaches of St Georges, Issos and at its far end separated by a small inlet channel the beach of Halikounas. Along the lagoons shores you can find an ancient rare cedar forest, 14 different species of sand orchids and the rare sand lily Pancratium maritimum This is a protected area in Corfu and is abundant with flora and wildlife and the area is listed on the European Environment agencies website and is a protected area categorised on the European Nature Information System (EUNIS) under Natura 2000. In 1992 legislation was introduced to protect the most seriously threatened habitats across Europe and Natura 2000 was the result of this legislation bringing together special areas of protection and conservation.
GPS:39.452871,19.874931

Mount Pantokrator

Mount Pantokrator -distance from hotel: 20 km/40 minutes
Mount Pantokrator (or Pantocrator) is a mountain pass located in north-eastern Corfu, Greec, at an elevation of 906m (2,972 ft) above the sea level. It is the highest mountain on the island.The surface of the road is asphalted. At the top there is a café for tourists, a telecommunications station and a monastery. The monastery of the Pantokrator is located on the site of an older Angevin monastery which was built in 1347 and destroyed early in the 16th century. It was then completely rebuilt, starting 1689 with the help of contributions from the people of the surrounding villages. There is nothing left from the older monastery. The facade of the church was built in the 19th century.The experience of using this road is very impressive. From the top of the mount Pantokrator you can see the coast of Epiros and Albania, Lake Butrinto, the small islands of Othoni, Erikoussa and Mathraki to the north west of Corfu the hills of Lefkimmi in the south the island of Paxi and in far distance, Kefalonnia. On particularly clear days it is also possible to see Italy.
GPS:39.737059,19.874089

Corfu town

Old Town -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
In the beautifully preserved Old Town of Corfu, a UNESCO world heritage site, Renaissance, Baroque and Classical “repertoire” came to be successfully applied to local artistic traditions. Palaces, fortresses, austere public buildings of the Venetian rule uniquely blend with lines of drying washing in tiny alleyways and small secluded squares. Strolling through a complex of narrow cobbled streets with stairways and vaulted passages, the so-called “kantoúnia”, will make you feel as if you’ve travelled to Genoa or Naples. Spianáda, the largest square in the Balkans, is the centre of the city, adorned with 19th-century remarkable works of French architecture. Here you can watch cricket games, or attend in musical concerts organised throughout the year. Listón, the city’s trademark, where the aristocrats used to enjoy their evening promenades. The characteristic arcades form the most romantic background setting for a welcome cup of coffee at one of the town’s cosy cafés.
GPS:39.624644,19.92193

The Monastery of Paleokastritsa

The Monastery of Paleokastritsa -distance from hotel: 26 km/46 minutes
The Monastery of Paleokastritsa in Corfu : On a green hill above the beach of Paleokastritsa, on the north western side of Corfu, there is a large Monastery complex dedicated to Panagia (Virgin Mary) of Paleokastritsa. This monastery dominates the whole region. Built on top of a remote hill, it gives gorgeous view of the island and the sea. This Byzantine Monastery dates back to 1228, however the current complex, the cells of the monks and the yard date from the 18th century. The monastery has a small ecclesiastical museum with rare Byzantine icons, holy books and other relics. Inside the monastery, there works a traditional olive oil press. The road to the monastery passes through a forest of olive trees and cypresses.
GPS:39.670637,19.701806

Archaeological Museum of Corfu

Archaeological Museum of Corfu -distance from hotel: 40 km/1 hour
The Archaeological Museum of Corfu is located in Vraila str., near the seaside highway of Garitsa. The most significant archaeological findings of the island are kept here, which were exhibited in the Museum of the Palaces, in days gone by. The most interesting of these exhibits is the western stone pediment of Gorgo (17 m. wide and over 3 m. tall) and part of the temple of Diana (590-580 BC), constructed by a Corinthian artist. The oldest Greek pediment, still in existence, represents the winged Gorgo surrounded by snakes, her two children Pegasus and Chrysaor (according to myth, they were born from her blood after her decapitation by Perseus) and two lion-panthers, while on the sides one can see representations of the Battles of the Titans. According to archaeologists, the pediment had vivid colours, while Gorgo was connected with Diana, the goddess who protected the animals and the beasts. Another exhibit is part of the left archaic pediment found during the excavation in the location of Figaretto (500 BC), which represents a scene of a bacchic symposium. One can also admire the findings of the Neo-Lithic Era, from Sidari, which include pots, utensils and the representations of the lionhead from the Temple of Hera (7th century BC). Other interesting exhibits are the archaic lion (7th century BC), discovered near the statue of Menekratis, as well as a livid sink from Attica (6th century BC). Among others, there are remarkable findings from the tombs of Garitsa (7th - 6th century BC), the Temple of Roses (5th century BC), the Temple of Diana at Kanoni (480 BC), Mon Repo, the Temple of Apollo, statuettes of typical ancient craftwork, objects made of copper and ivory, a tombstone praising the ancient hero Arnias, the capital of the column of Xembaros (6th century BC), as well as coins, the most significant being the one depicting a cow, released after the liberation of Corfu from the Corinthians.
GPS:39.619334,19.921323

The Folklore Museum of Acharavi

The Folklore Museum of Acharavi -distance from hotel: 1 km/2 minutes
The Folklore Museum of Acharavi in Corfu , Ionian: The Folklore Museum of Acharavi in Corfu was inaugurated in October 2008. It is located just opposite the Roman baths of Acharavi in a private building of 1,000 sq.m. The permanent collection of the museum is diplayed in two rooms. It includes old photos, books and manuscripts that date from 1862, coins from the period of the Ionian State (1799-1864), wooden folk furniture, loom, traditional olive press, kitchen utenslis, agricultural tools, watermill, ecclesiastical items and other exhibits that present the historical course of Corfu from the 18th century till today.
GPS:39.789429,19.809655

Search free apartment and book online at the best price!